i have no idea where the weeks have disappeared. one minute they were right here—i'm telling you i had them firmly in my grasp—and then, just like that, they were gone. life is crazy sometimes, filled with the unexpected. it meanders, it zigs and zags, it careens. in maine, life is good, though. so very, very good.
as proof of the good life we lead in maine, the following terms highlight, among other things, how advanced we are.
GOING HIGH TECH IN THE NORTH COUNTRY: COMPUTER TERMS FOR AROOSTOOK COUNTY (A.K.A. NORTHERN MAINE OR THE COUNTY)
1. log on - make the wood stove hotter
2. log off - don't add no more wood
3. monitor - keep an eye on that wood stove
4. download - getting the firewood off the truck
5. floppy disk - what you get from downloading too much firewood
6. ram - the thing that splits the firewood
7. hard drive - getting home in winter
8. prompt - what the u.s. mail ain't in the winter
9. window - what to shut when it's cold outside
10. screen - what to shut in black fly season
11. byte - what the black flies do
12. bit - what the black flies did